Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My Vagenda for the Morning

This morning, first thing after I made coffee, I began contacting my state and local representatives, to make sure they know that my priority as a California voter is to stand against the direction America is likely to go in the new year. My newly elected state assemblyman, Marc Berman, doesn't have an office that can take telephone calls yet, so I resorted to e-mail, and had a chance to put down in writing the central points of the discussions I'd had with aides to my other representatives.

Here it is:
I'm a voter in Mountain View, and I believe that, just as California has to lead progress in the nation in the good times, it has to fight the rearguard action in the dark times. So, as the new California assembly meets, I would like Marc to sponsor and support bills to achieve the following:


1. Affirm the right of cities in California to designate themselves as sanctuaries for undocumented immigrants, and to do all that can be done at the state level to help those areas protect their residents from deportation. This doesn't only protect immigrants today, but sets the stage to protect others if things really go bad. Above all, I don't want to see my friends torn from their families. As a transgender woman, I also have to look to the remote but growing possibility that some day someone is going to come for me. Enshrining sanctuaries into California law would help quell both of those fears.


2. I would like the California Assembly to vote on a statement of principles affirming California's commitment to the rights and safety of all people, whether they're Muslim, Jewish, LGBTQ, people of color, disabled, or members of any other minority group. The nation should have someone to look to at a time like this, and as we believe in the essential dignity of all people, that responsibility falls on us.


3. I would also like the assembly to vote to reaffirm California's commitment to end global warming and reduce carbon emissions. We're such a large part of the nation's economy that we can go a long way toward helping, just on our own. We can set an example not just for the nation, but for the world, to show that you can fight global warming and not just maintain but strengthen your economy.



4. Finally, I'd like Marc to do what can be done to help keep healthcare coverage for as many people as possible. I know this is a tough one, considering the federal money we're going to lose for Medi-Cal. No one's expecting a miracle. But we have a duty to at least show willing, to patch wherever we can, and to help as many people as the budget allows.


Okay. That's all for now. Let's make a difference where we can.
 A lot of people are very worried about what's going to happen to them in 2017. I've been seeing a lot of people from vulnerable demographics, even in progressive areas, who are suddenly hopeless for their future, and more who feel helpless to protect their loved ones. If that's you, this is something you can do today. Call them. Write them. Show up in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.